Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Yertle the Turtle

The day before Maeby's birthday I went to scope out Shirlington Dog Park. One website I found had it in a different location, so I wanted to make sure we went to the right place. Well, the first place I went was not the dog park, but Maeby had fun meeting a new friend. This turtle somehow got trapped inside the fence of a soccer field. It kept walking along the fence trying to find a soft spot to push through and get down to the stream. Maeby was scared at first, then she just wanted Yertle to come out and play. She probably barked more in 5 minutes than she has her whole life (she's not a barker, she barks a couple times about once a week). After letting Maeby bark for a while, I tied her up a few yards away so that she wouldn't bother the turtle. Then I pulled the fence up and let Yertle scoot his way under. Then I let Maeby get a closer look. She was much more wary since there was no longer a fence to keep her safe. A park employee came by and I helped him chase the turtle into a bin so that he could take it directly to the water since the day was getting hotter by the minute. We then said goodbye to Yertle and went to find the real dog park.

2 comments:

Cassi said...

sweet... thats super cute! i cant wait to meet her is she comming for christmas?

anseliz said...

There's not one thing wrong with a doggie dedicated blog. I made a MySpace group just for newfoundlands, http://groups.myspace.com/newfoundland. If you want to see some of the biggest, slobberiest, sweetest pooches there are some great pics there. That Maeby is a doll by the way.